The Girl on the Street 2


Every time we wander into an unknown pace, our parents warn us about the dangers. But what about the horrors that are hidden in places that we think are “known” to us? We only hear about unnatural sightings and paranormal activity in homes, abandoned buildings, hostels, the cemetery…..The sheer possibility of something beyond the conventional “haunted” somehow seems to skip our minds. I guess that is what happened the other day. 

There is a very peaceful and isolated street close to where I used to stay. I used to take a stroll there every other weekend and so did she, a girl of about eleven. We became friends and from the way we chatted, it felt as if I had known her all my life. We used to talk about all sorts of things and she became like a baby sister to me. Perhaps that is why I was so sad when I was leaving that city. 

It was a winter evening but Mumbai is never too cold. Also, it was my last weekend there as I was moving back to my home town. So, even though I was tired, I got up and made my way to the spot where I knew I’d find her. I wanted to say goodbye. I also realized that I didn’t know her name yet nor her phone number or address! I wanted to ask her all of that. As I reached the street, I had to wait. She was nowhere to be seen. I wondered what happened and regretted not having asked her all of those questions before. I gave up after two hours. I missed her but there was nothing I could do. The moment I sat in my car, there was a knock on the window. I looked up with a huge grin as the girl was right there. But my joy turned to pure panic as I looked into her eyes for the first time. Black. Entirely black. No pupil, no iris, no sign of white. Just a pair of jet black eyes!

My speech betrayed me. So did motor control. 
But then she spoke, “Please let me in. We can be together forever….”

Comments