The Absolute 'Neutrals"


While looking at my color palette today, I was struck by the idea that amongst so many shades, there are just two perfect hues: black and white! Ironically, they are not even considered ‘colors’.

Let me talk about the medium that I’m using currently. It’s oil, my favorite. But that hardly has anything to do with my idea of perfect colors. As per the rules of art, the use of black and white should be the least in any media. It is believed that black makes the whole picture dull. But for me, black actually completes the painting!

I love the way it makes space for itself in the most complicated situations. Be it adding depth, perspective or shadow, black is my ultimate choice. The effects can be achieved by other dark colors as well but there is something so irresistible about black that I can’t do without it. The subtle mystery and venom like consistency of black makes it my all time favorite. Many times I use it for covering up the flaws in my work! May be my inclination towards dark colors is another reason behind my preferences. But then, how would you explain my love for white?

The best part about white is its smoothness. Use it as a base for mixing colors or as a binding agent for too oily shades like ‘burnt sienna’, it is just the right thing. No light effects can be complete without a hint of white. Even if it’s a bright yellow bulb, the highlights have to be in white for that absolute realism.

Sometimes it feels that a certain element is missing even after an artwork is fully done. I use white or black to satisfy myself in such cases and believe me, it always works! You can never go wrong with these two. A beginner can in fact solely rely on black and white if their color mixing ideas are in initial stages…..Anha! This makes me wonder if that is why this anti black and white rule was set! I mean, may be our teachers didn’t want us to cheat! Well, that makes sense….if we continue depending too much on black and white then how will we learn about the vast range of colors that demand so much experimenting?

That again brings me back to where I started….perfect colors! Black and white are so complete that it is better to avoid them otherwise the imperfect colors won’t get a chance to improve! WE won’t get a chance to improve! Is that why people sometimes flee from perfection?

Comments